Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Book Review - Kay Scarpetta Series # 2: Body of Evidence

Book Review - Body of Evidence

Goodreads synopsis:
"From Edgar Award-winning author Patricia Cornwell comes the latest in the murder mystery tales of Chief Medical Examiner Dr. Kay Scarpetta. After months of menacing phone calls and a feeling that her every move is being watched, a terrifying message scratched into reclusive writer Beryl Madison's car forces her to flee. But the very night she returns home to Richmond, she deactivates her burglar alarm and opens the door -- to her murderer."

Barnes and Noble synopsis:
"A reclusive author, Beryl Madison finds no safe haven from months of menacing phone calls—or the tormented feeling that her every move is being watched. When the writer is found slain in her own home, Kay Scarpetta pieces together the intricate forensic evidence—while unwittingly edging closer to a killer waiting in the shadows."

I'll be honest, when I picked up this book from a Church sale last year for a very cheap price, I wasn't sure if I'd really read it. But then my Diabolical Challenge rolled around and I found myself having to read a book in a series and I thought well what the heck?

How glad was I that I read this! Now I can't wait to get my hands on the rest of the series to find out whats happend.

Dr Kay Scarpetta is the Chief Medical Examiner. When the body of Beryl Madison is found in her house, brutally stabed and nearly beheaded, Kay finds herself feeling very conected to this murder and she wants to find out who did this to Beryl, no matter what. She goes to great lenghts to find clues and answers, so much so that the killer starts stalking her.

The book reminded me alot of James Pattersons Womens Murder Club series, but its great having a female author write the female lead. Kay is smart and corageous, you really want her to find out what happens, you want her to be ok, you also want her to find love again. She's a great character.

The book gets slow at some points but it picks up pretty quickly. You also get to have some laughs in the book with Kay's "partner" (not really) Pete Marino who is a detective that works along with her. His a real tough guy and doesnt beat around the bush. He compliments her character well. You get to meet some other colourful characters along the way that makes the book a really interesting read.

Next up for me is Postmortem (Kay Scarpetta #1) and then All that remains (Kay Scarpetta #3).

No comments: